Professional publications and presentations:
- Shaping a Reliable Hover Behavior in an American Kestrel. Zach Zeneberg (Education Coordinator, Cascades Raptor Center). Presented at IAATE 2018 conference.
- Raptor Report: Crating for Success. In: The Flyer, IAATE Summer 2018. Kit Lacy (Bird Curator, Cascades Raptor Center), Zach Zeneberg (Education Coordinator, Cascades Raptor Center).
- Selection Process for Non-Releasable Birds: The First Step in Bird Welfare, Kit Lacy, Director of Education, Cascades Raptor Center, IAATE Conference, Feb. 2017
Other articles of interest:
- Soar Winner, story of our Founder, Louise Shimmel, including photographs
- Backyard Raptor Feeding? - The do's and don'ts of attracting raptors to your backyard.
- Eagles Eyes - The eyes of an eagle are exceptionally sharp.
- Owl's Ears - Dan Gleason describes the purpose of owl ears.
- An Eagle's Cry - A personal look at the emotional side of wildlife rehabilitation.
- When Birds Can't Fly - Or Squirrels Can't Climb - An article written for Skipping Stones, a multi-cultural children's magazine on wildlife rehabilitation - what it is, how anyone can help.
- The Effects of Cats on Wildlife - With many species in danger due to habitat loss or pesticides, predation by house cats is yet one more hardship - but a controllable one - imposed by humans on wild animals already struggling to survive.
- Screen Those Chimneys - Chimneys can look like good cavities for nesting.
- What To Do In A Wildlife Emergency
- What Good Is Wildlife Rehabilitation? - A frank look at the state of the profession.
- Emergency Road Kits for Rehabilitators - Suggested contents of a rescue kit for licensed rehabilitators.
- Rehabilitation Ethics - A wildlife rehabilitator code of ethics.
- West Nile Virus - General Information - West Nile virus belongs to a group of viruses that can cause encephalitis, a potentially fatal inflammation of the brain and spinal cord. WNV is known to affect birds, horses, and humans - and other mammals.
- Avian influenza “Bird Flu”, as it is sometimes called in the press, is making its way into the news almost daily and causing worry among global health authorities, including the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Avian Influenza Facts
American Kestrel Boxes
Barn Owl Boxes