Current Opening: Wednesday 3pm-8pm & Tuesday 8:30am-12:30pm
Volunteers on the Wildlife Hospital Team will be involved in preparing whole food, animal diets for patients, cleaning patient aviaries and hospital crates, doing laundry, cleaning working spaces in hospital, and assisting with treatments/procedures in the hospital.
- Time Requirement:
- Minimum of one four-hour shift a week, and an initial commitment of 100 hours (roughly six month at 4hrs/week). Shifts daily from 8:30am – 12:30pm and 3:00pm – 7:30pm.
- Dress code: While you are here, you are representing the Raptor Center. Please wear appropriate clothing (i.g., close-toed shoes, no short-shorts, shirts must have sleeves, no leggings or yoga pants, and your volunteer name badge).
- Special Considerations:
- Most of the work done by our Hospital Team is done outside, all year round, in all weather conditions.
- Work can be physically demanding. We are situated on the side of Spencer Butte, so being able to walk up hills, haul heavy hoses, and lift crates is necessary.
- We are working with predatory birds whose diets consist of small, whole animals. Please be aware that as a Hospital volunteer part of your duties will be preparing diets, which means cutting up or skinning mice, quail, rabbit, rats, and fish.
- Because we focus solely on raptors, our hospital sees far fewer patients than other wildlife hospitals (roughly 250-300 per year). That means, some days there may not be much to do in the hospital and you may be asked to help in other areas.