Job Title: Senior Development Officer
Reports To: Executive Director
Salary Range: $50,000-$55,000 annually (salaried)
Through wildlife rehabilitation and public education, Cascades Raptor Center fosters a connection between people and birds of prey. We are a nature center and wildlife hospital open to the public year-round.
General Description of Position:
The Senior Development Officer reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for the creation and implementation of the fundraising process, donor stewardship, grant management, and establishing strong relationships in the community. This position will work closely with the Executive Director and other team members to provide leadership and direction in fundraising, communications, public relations, and marketing – ensuring that all efforts meet the mission, vision, and values of the Center and will help guide the organization to its next level of growth and impact. This position takes place both on-site and off-site out in the community, with some potential for remote work as needed.
Health insurance, paid sick leave, approximately 4.5 weeks paid vacation per year (this includes both rollover PTO and 12 non-rollover personal days per year). PTO accrual increases after the first two years of employment.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and manage a yearly fundraising plan that includes major gifts, planned giving, fundraising events, and campaigns.
- Manage fiscal year planning and budget, including goal setting, and fundraising forecasting.
- Build and maintain business relationships and secure financial sponsors in the business community.
- Lead each stage of a robust donor cultivation and stewardship process, including meaningful opportunities for donor engagement, providing timely and personalized acknowledgment.
- Assemble, supervise, and work cooperatively with the organization’s development team.
- Partner with Executive Director and Creative Engagement Designer on yearly grants calendar and set goals for each year.
- Research new granting opportunities and keep up to date on current funders and their funding priorities.
- Track and manage grants calendar.
- Work closely with staff to pursue new grant sources that fit the needs of the organization.
Public Relations & Marketing
- Oversee development strategies including (but not limited to) social media presence, newsletters, annual magazine, and web contentto boost the Raptor Center’s engagement.
- Create and manage promotional material for fundraising events and campaigns.
- Evaluate marketing opportunities, set budget with Executive Director, supervise production and placement, and evaluate results where possible.
- Provide media relations support to promote awareness surrounding initiatives, programming, and campaigns, share organization accomplishments, mission, vision, values, and successes.
- Oversee planning and implementation of Raptor Center events, working collaboratively with staff to ensure all events are aligned with our goals, values, and mission.
- Develop and implement regular, small-scale donor recognition and cultivation events, such as tours and informational meetings.
- Serve as liaison for third-party fundraising events and coordinate the Raptor Center’s presence at these events as needed.
- Serve as the Raptor Center’s liaison to the community to retain and grow support through community engagement.
- Actively participate in appropriate community committees and collaborations on behalf of the Raptor Center.
- Seek out potential speaking engagements, fundraising events, and communication tools to reach the community and encourage involvement at the Center.
- Network with and build relationships with nonprofits and universities.
- Supervision of Adoption & Membership Coordinator.
- Knowledge of current fundraising trends.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Strong belief in the mission and future of Cascades Raptor Center
- Must have a minimum of 3 years’ experience fundraising and/or success in foundation grant writing.
- Experience working with development database and web-based design programs.
- Demonstrated success organizing fundraising events and/or individual giving campaigns.
- Knowledge of major gifts, corporate and foundation giving, and in-kind giving.
- Ability to complete multiple tasks and meet deadlines with minimal supervision.
- Ability to independently manage projects.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including ability to communicate well through written and verbal avenues.
- A strong foundation in and commitment to equity, diversity, inclusion, and social justice, especially as they relate to nonprofit work and development.
- Broad knowledge of fundraising strategies and methods.
How to Apply:
Email the following materials to Cascades Raptor Center at [email protected], with subject line “Senior Development”:
- Cover letter clearly outlining why you are a good fit for this position and the specific skills and knowledge you bring to the job.
- A resume detailing relevant experience, work history, and accomplishments.
Even if your background does not exactly match the preferred qualifications above, we encourage you to apply and to address how your professional and lived experience will contribute to our organization. We are interested in finding the best candidate for the job, which may be an applicant from a less traditional background.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. The position is open until filled, with priority given to applications received by Monday, September 11, 2023.
At Cascades Raptor Center, we strive to create a space where everyone feels welcome, safe, and heard. We are committed to the wellbeing of our marginalized visitors, staff, volunteers, and board members, and do not tolerate behavior that threatens, demeans, or excludes them. Our organization is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, religion, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, family status, national origin, or any other status protected by law.